Wednesday 20 August 2008

11.30pm

You'll have to forgive me for not doing the rounds this evening, I'm going to bed now. Looking at it objectively, tropical storm Fay was a bit of a damp squib. Yep, she produced winds of force 10 to 11 on the Beaufort scale, but at the moment, it's rain that seems to be the memorable feature. Someone measured 22 inches (550 mm) out of Fay. Gather that's not unwelcome in the Sunshine State.

The aircrash at Madrid came to my attention shortly after it happened, and the deathtoll has sadly exceeded 150. We can only keep the family and friends of those that died in our thoughts at this time, and hope that the root cause is found soon.

One other thing caught my eye just now: fruit juice can interfere with medication. It is already known that you cannot take grapefruit juice with several medicines, and now oranges and apples are also suspect - a component in them may prevent the absorption of the medicine from the intestine. Before you stop drinking orange juice or cut out apples: ask your chemist first. And, much more research is needed to confirm all these theories.

5 comments:

  1. I too have just read that about fruit juices Guedo...worth asking for sure,. I do know a friend who disovered just by accident about the adverse effect of the grapefruit juice and indeed eating grapefruits caused a terrible reaction, Love  sybil xx

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad over the aircrash Guido.  Yes, I was warned by my doctor not to take any form of fruit juice with the medication that I am on.  Shame because I used to love it.  However, fruit is o.k. in moderation including oranges but one thing that is a definite no no is Grapefruit either fresh or as juice.  Oh no account must I have any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have many relatives in Florida...praying for their safety.   Hope you are safe in mixing juice and med's we know all to well that drill...take care...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to all those poor people who lost their lives in the Madrid air crash. My son landed in Madrid the previous Saturday...so it hit home to me.

    I must look into the grapefruit and medication talk..... I swallow my blood pressure tablets with pink grapefuit squash... so thats rather worrying.Thank you for letting us know
    hugs Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that was very interesting about the juice as well.  I'm not much of a fruit juice drinker, but my daughter is.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete