Sunday 3 August 2008

Avalanche

An avalanche on the world's second highest mountain, K2, has claimed the lives of 9 climbers. The incident occurred when an ice-pillar collapsed, breaking ropes and causing an avalanche. Several climbers are thought to be stuck above the area of the fall, known as the bottleneck, and may have to make their own way down; fixed ropes were broken by the icefall.

The mountain is located in the western Himalayas, on the border between Pakistani controlled Kashmir and China. K2 stands 8,611 meters above sealevel, that's 28,251 feet. It has only been climbed by a few hundred people, and has claimed dozens of lives.

The highest mountain I have ever ascended is a very easy peak called the Sparrhorn, some 7 miles north of Brig in Switzerland, which stands 3,011 meters (10,020 feet) above sealevel.

4 comments:

  1. Very sad but this is a notoriously dangerous peak and they must know the risks before they set out.  My thoughts are with their families.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad to hear this news........ my thoughts are with their families.
    hugs Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. How terrible for the climbers, I cannot imagine how scary that would be.  I am a bit of a daredevil but mountain climbing has never appealed to me.  I hope the remaining climbers make it down safely.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tragedy!  I hope that the ones they think are stuck have survived and can get down on their own.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete