Saturday 30 August 2008

Hurricane update - 30 August

Hurricane Gustav is deepening rapidly. I am tracking Hurricane Hunter missions on Google Earth (if you have Google Earth, Open this link: http://www.tropicalatlantic.com/recon/ge/Atlantic.kmz). Central pressure has fallen by 12 mbar (from 971 to 959 mbar) in the 4 hours between 05.19 and 09.53 GMT, and winds of 100 knots (115 mph) are being measured around the centre of the storm. Hurricane force winds are approaching the south coast of Cuba, and the Hurricane Hunter is reporting intense lightning activity on the northern wall of the eye.

Cuba and the Isle of Youth should prepare for a storm surge of 14 to 19 feet. I don't want to even think about that. What will happen in the Gulf of Mexico is anyone's guess. Atmospheric conditions and oceanic conditions are not as favourable there as they are right now, south of Cuba, so the rate of strengthening may well level off tomorrow and Sunday.

There is NO reliable indication on the point of landfall, but preparations are on-going along the Gulf coast.

4 comments:

  1. It's so scary Guido.....I'm so fearful for the people in New Oleans. I've always got the weather chanel on in the back ground because of Mandy living in Florida, and it looks like this one may not be pretty.

    Pooh Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I monitor noaa and local weather but I really ever so much appreciate all you do Guido!  ;o)  =  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even want to think of where Gustav will land.  :-/  I'm glad for the rain we'll get from it, but the disaster from where it will hit....ugh....

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi guido, sounds like a nasty one, i will keep the them in my thoughts. take care mrs t xx

    ReplyDelete