Friday 5 January 2007

Forwarding emails

Today, I received a few emails from within J-land which had obviously done the rounds. I had to scroll through pages and pages of email addresses before I finally got to the message.

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but a request-with-a-smile to please chop off the huge lists of forwarded email addies, which are a goldmine to spammers and other nasties on the web.

I've already been the victim of some idiot in Asia who decided to forge another email account of mine, and I received bounced spam - which I never sent.

Basically, if you forward, please only send the body of the message. When you forward, the message will include all the email addresses of those to whom it was sent as well.

I think it might be an idea to set up a separate journal with forwarded funnies (like Kathy [Onestrangecat] has done). I'm not acting on my own suggestion by the way, and I've stopped forwarding funmails.

11 comments:

  1. Errr... I usually get rid of the tons of addresses on those. But the one I sent today put em all on there and then attached the forwarded message to it automatically when I clicked "Foward". *guilty look*

    Morgan
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually just delete the Forwards, along with addresses I don't recognize.
    Sug

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send very few forwards and none where there are so many addresses. It has to be a good one before I will forward it. I Also I stop the ones that are chain emails. I hate those so they get deleted. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im afraid I delete now, the majority have been doing the rounds for years ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Guido... forwarding can bring nasty tricks.... if you need to send.. copy and paste into new mail and then BCC the folks you are sending it to... then no one's email address gets sent out... and there is no error in reply to all.
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed in the past week or two that I don't get as many forwards as I used to! Most of the funny ones I've seen before and I only forward really good ones now. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  7. I copy and paste whenever I want to send something that was sent to me or I put it in my journal like I did today.  I really like Kathy's "Forever Forward" journal.  I thought that was a wonderful idea and have been enjoying it.
    Lori
    http://journals.aol.com/helmswondermom/DustyPages

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always copy and paste to clean up any emails I send (forward).  And it's nice to do a blind copy too unless there's a reason to have every recipent's name showing.   Linda in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I do like to get emails and love getting jokes etc...but, I don't like all the forwards eiter. It would be polite to cut out all of the other email addresses . And to reduse any of the nasty happenings that go along with it.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you 100% Guido!  I usually won't forward anything though.  Once in a great while.  
    Hope you are having a good evening.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love getting different jokes and funnies.  But I hate to get tons of forwarded mail.  I don't like my e-mail address shared with everyone else's.
    Hugs,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete