Saturday 25 August 2007

Artsy Essay

Jumping in at the deep end of Judith Heartsong's Artsy Essay for August. The theme is Squeezing every last drop of sunshine out of Summer.

Summer in the Western Isles of Scotland does not mean warm days by the seaside. It does mean long days, with even the nights not wholly dark. During the three years I have spent in Northern Scotland, since August 2004, I have never ceased to be amazed by this phenomenon. Stornoway, from where I post, is located just north of the 58th degree latitude north. The weather can be savage, particularly in winter. It can be savage in summer too. But the dominant theme is light. My essay shows the small town of Stornoway, wreathed in the ghostly light of the gloaming. The all-night dusk, or is it all-night dawn? For reference, the sun rises at 4.20 am and sets at 10.35pm on the summer solstice.


Stornoway Town Hall in the evening of the solstice, 2007


View north at 1.10 am, in mid July.


The Callanish Stones at midnight on June 29th, awaiting the Lunar Standstill, pictured below.

Tags: ,

11 comments:

  1. Very well done Guido ...love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo!!! Love it my friend....  and love the photos to explain and show.  Great job and good luck
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never even stop to think that you have a whole different view of things!  Glad you joined in!  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! Excellent entry my friend! (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice pictures, would love to see that sometime.  Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes i think about the places of endless darkness or light and wonder if i'd lose my ever-loving mind.  i don't really have a good idea of it all, but you've helped to shed some uhm light on the situation.  grins, debra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea!!!!! A photo essay! I am so glad you decided to join us and love the photographs. How very wonderful to put a whole different perspective on things. I think your pictures are wonderful, I hope someday to experience it myself:):):)

    Wonderful!

    Judith
    http://judithheartsong.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos Guido, they look kind of eerie in the half light. Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the warmth of the red sandstone of the Town Hall  as its bathed in the setting sun.  I can feel the heat of the day still, in its glistening surfaces.
    This pictorial essay was spectacular and portrayed the many moods of sun up and sundown throughout.  I enjoyed this beautiful entry very much.

    Wonderful!

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an enchanting place you've captured in your photo essay! I am curious, is there as much darkness in the winter as there is light in the summer?--Sheria
    http://journals.aol.com/aimer/on-my-mind

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful photo essay.. A great addition to the wonderful entry into this month contest.. good luck...

    Kristal
    http://apoeticdreamerssoul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete