Tuesday 28 August 2007

Tuesday notes

Pretty decent morning, with chinks through the clouds. The cruiseliner Kristina Regina came into port an hour ago, apparently on its last voyage into Stornoway. She is an old lady of the seas, having been built in 1960. When she resumes her last voyage, the KR will make for Londonderry. That is about 250 miles south of here.

The Comhairle has decided to defer a decision about school closures whilst having discussions with the Scottish Executive. Although the Councillor who had proposed the closures described this decision as a "black day for the island's education system", I rather think that the opposite is true.

Read that many young people suffer poor and insufficient sleep because they have computers, games and mobile phones on in their bedrooms.

2 comments:

  1. It's a good thing my kids are grown.  I would be a mean mommy...there would be no TV, computer or phones in their rooms.  I can't understand why parents allow computers in their children's bedrooms...that's one item (along with the cell phone) that should be monitored during use.  I know one couple who have 2 teenagers, one month there was a $400 cell phone bill.  After that, the cell phones were turned off when they got home from school and handed over to the parents until they needed them again.  Linda in sunny Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my child will never have a television in her bedroom (as a minor in my home), and she's too busy to spend too much time online or on her cell phone.  Sad more kids don't utilize these things in more appropriate manners -- or livestyle where they get caught up in them and think what the heck.  I wouldn't even be online reading this if my daughter was home with me today (she's w/ her grandma/ gramp cuz all kids need quality grandparent time, too!)  Priorities.  Oy, what a shame.

    ReplyDelete