Sunday 26 August 2007

Sunday evening notes

In response to some questions about my Artsy Essay - in December, we get as little light as we get nighttime in June. Sunrise: 9.15 am, sunset 3.35 pm. On cloudy, overcast, rainy days, the streetlights do not even go off through the day. I've seen them on at 12.30 in the afternoon.

Back in December, I wrote a piece about Diana, Princess of Wales, who died 10 years ago this week. It appears to have been picked up by her admirers, as I am getting a steady trickle of comments alerts in tribute to the late Princess. I am glad that the Royal Family has seen the light and that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (Rothesay here in Scotland) will not be attending Diana's memorial service on Friday, the anniversary of her death.

In summary, Diana left the Ritz Hotel in Paris in a chauffeur driven car in the early hours of 31 August 1997. She was in the company of Dodi Al-Fayed and chauffeur Henri Paul. It is alleged that Mr Paul was called upon to drive the couple at short notice, and that he had been drinking earlier in the evening. He drove down the Alma Tunnel at 60 mph and lost control of the vehicle. It crashed, killing Henri Paul and Dodi Al-Fayed instantly, and inflicting fatal injuries on Diana. She died 5 hours later. An inquiry found no conclusive evidence that the so-called paparazzi were in close pursuit, neither that they at any time hindered efforts by emergency services to assist the occupants of the wrecked car. I have to stress the words "conclusive evidence", and express no opinion on that fraught issue.

Her death was met by an unprecendented outpouring of national (and indeed international) grief, and the Royal Family nearly lost public support after it took HM the Queen three days to go out to meet the crowds of mourners outside Buckingham Palace.

7 comments:

  1. I to am glad that Clarence House residents ! have seen the light..at last...and will not be attending the memorial service on Friday. I do think it would have been unfortunate to say the least if Camilla had attended.  As you know by my journal writing of a few days ago, and having met her,I am a great admirer of the late Princes...but must say from my point of view only, that I disagree with all the conspiracy stories and teh way that the media keep going on and on about it.  Keep well  Sybil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that Camilla has decided to withdraw from the service.  

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Camilla is finally doing something correctly.  Yes it was a horrible event.  I can remember being glued to the TV that whole weekend.  It was one of those times I'll never forget.  Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  4. Princess Dianna was beautiful inside and out.No matter what circumstances lead to her demise,she is sadly missed and revered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, also, was a great admirer of Princess Diana!!  And I still feel much anger at Prince Charles for the way he treated her, I truly wish the crown would skip right over him, and go from the Queen to Prince William!!  P. Charles is a kniving butthead who absolutely doesn't deserve the crown.  BUT that's just my opinion.

    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana was my age, or very close.  She had children who had been away with their father, visitation I suppose, for weeks.  She was due to see them again shortly, back with her for a bit.  My heart still goes out to her and her loved ones.  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh 10 years, it only seems like yesterday. What a beautiful person she was.I lost my respect for the crown at this time. And Prince Charles in my eyes should be ashamed of his conduct.Camila showing respect now. she should have shown it when Charles married Diana,I read Paul Burrels book a few months back and it showed a whole different angle on the royal family. It was well worth the read. I can still picture the sea of flowers for our princess.She truley was Englands rose,
    love and hugs
    Katie

    ReplyDelete