Friday 24 August 2007

Close of day


It's after midnight, and time for me to shut up shop. But not before this.

With the 4th anniversary being such a low-key affair, a few things have fallen by the wayside, I feel. Although now 3 days ago, I think we should not forget those among us who have gone ahead - as it used to say in my old church parish magazine. For these past 12 months, that applies to (amongst many others) Jim Halliday, who wrote No Sundays, the Memoirs of a Teenage Killer. Paul (plittle, Aurora Walking Vacation) left a comment in John Scalzi's journal that he still missed Pamela (his1desire), who passed away on Easter Sunday 2006. Pam, like John, had been there from the start of AOL Journals, and I think it is fitting that she be remembered this week.

Neither should we forget those among us, or in our immediate circle, who are ill in body or in mind. I never cease to be horrified at the decrepit level of health care that is awarded to those in the United States who are not in the money. Several J-landers are suffering more than necessary as a result. My sidebar contains a handful of graphics dedicated to those referred to in the first sentence of this paragraph.

Finally, Sugar did a splendid job last year in compiling a Memorial for J-land pets. Several amongst us have seen companions pass over the Rainbow Bridge this year. Please revisit the Memorial.

8 comments:

  1. A very timely, needed reminder.  Thanks G.  CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, let us remember those that have gone on, & those that are suffering be it health, emotional, or financial.
    TY Guido for reminding people about the memorial for pets. Altho it was set up for pets that had passed during that 3 yr period...I have added a few during this yr & will continue to add them as long as people want them added. Also there's sidebar Memorial Tags there for their pets.
    Hugs,
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the reminder Guido.. you are so right so many to remember
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Pam too.

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Jim Guido ,thanks for mentioning him ....love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a caring and thoughful entry Guido.  I never knew the others, may God Bless them, but Jim and I corresponded from time to time.  He was a lovely genuine man who wore his heart on his sleeve.  One of the 'old school' I thought. His love for his wife Jean and his family were paramount to all else.  I miss him...he was such a caring man.  God bless him and give him Rest.  I will always remember him...he wrote as he spoke.  With truth and candour but especially love and care of his fellow man.  He was a STAR!  
    I can hear him now.. "What did I do to deserve this!"    He took ill so quickly at the end.  May he rest in peace.  I will always remember him and smile.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right, Guido.  Although I have just lately returned to the internet, I remember well the excitement of th 2nd & 3rd J-Land anniversaries.  Sometimes I think there is a little apathy going on here, but so many that brought the early excitement have left for greener pastures.  I do miss Pam.  I still go back once in a while to read . . . it seems the longer she has been away the harder it is to remember her attitude.  I still love J-Land both old and changed.  Thank you for remembering for us all.  Blessings, Penny  thhttp://journalsals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your 'close of the day' entry, Guido!!!  Very fitting!!  Wish I would have been here from the beginning, but I'm here now, and I'm so glad to be a part of J-land!!

    Joann

    ReplyDelete