Tuesday 12 February 2008

Bragar

This afternoon, I jumped on the bus to photograph another war memorial. Still a handful on file for capturing. Went at 4pm, and as the bus passed through Arnol, a van with satellite dish could be seen on a peatroad - a television crew. We promptly featured on national (UK) news at 6 o'clock - read two entries back what the fuss was all about.

It was quiet at Bragar, apart from the steady flow of traffic on the A858,which passes through the village. Don't think of a "steady flow" as bumper-to-bumper. It is sort of one car every minute. This township, located 15 miles north of Stornoway, is famous for an arch, made of the jaw of a whale. As the pictures show, the jaw stands some 20 feet high. Otherwise, it is punctuated by stone walls, sheep and distant hills.

The bus back, at 5.10pm, appeared empty, but hidden amongst the chairs were two young children, who emerged at Arnol and Barvas. It was still light at 5.45, when I returned to Stornoway.

8 comments:

  1. I love all those stone walls wonder how long they have stood there ? and the whale bone arch ..great ..love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the picures the walls are fasinating.I also was interested to see the whalebone arch.I will send you an E.mail Guido of th eone in the next Coastal Town to where I live.Thanx for sharing Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guido
    The whale bone arch is most impressive!  I found all the photos to be of interest, though.  I see mountains in the background and the shoreline right down the road.  I can envision just how it may be in the summertime.  I'd love to visit your country someday.  The memorial was touching I get a feeling a reverence from the photos.  Very nice stone work around the memorial.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guido. I can't believe the number of WW II memorials that you have shown us in your area.
    I live outside of Philadelphia, PA and can only recalll about three or four memorials that I have seen around here. I am impressed how the Scots have remembered their valient service men.
    Could not believe the size of the whale jaw. Can't imagine how big that whale must have been.
    Thanks for sharing all of your pictures with us. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. i enjoy meandering around Stornoway with you. Those sheep look as though there are lambs in their tummies...they look very plump. The memorials are wonderful as they are diverse....so much care put into building them. Given the numbers, was Stornoway more populated then than now? i've never seen a whale jaw..my life...that IS BIG. Have a slight understanding of how Jonah must have felt.
    On telly..eh...makes a change someone capturing you on camera lol. Whoever invented these damned wind farms needs seriously talking to with an end view to walking a plank to somewhere they can't return from. Dratted things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tour around your island.  The whale jaw bone was huge and I love the rock wall fences.  Thanks for the pictures.  Joni

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the tour around your island.  The whale jaw bone was huge and I love the rock wall fences.  Thanks for the pictures.  Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. great photos guido, thanks for the tour. mrs t x
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/mleppard06/eternity
    http://thelilacdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete