Monday 25 February 2008

INR 7.4

I have been cogitating for a few hours over this, but I thought I'd put people in the picture. Irene died of a bleed on the brain. The code above, INR 7.4, indicates that her blood took 7.4 times the normal length of time to clot. She indicated several times in the last week of her life that her INR, a measure of clotting time of the blood, was out of range.

People are giving drugs like coumadin and warfarin to delay clotting of the blood. This is called for if you have a thrombosis or in certain heart conditions (to name but a few). The normal INR in those cases lies between 2 and 4.

Last Wednesday, Irene's measurements went up at 7.4, which is close to being an emergency. The doctors apparently were unable to do anything about it, with the tragic consequences of this morning.

I cannot comment on the specifics of Irene's medical problems, as I could only go on what she told us in the journal. I know that it is extremely difficult to stabilise INR in cancer patients, and this entry should NOT be construed as criticism of the medical team in charge.

5 comments:

  1. My LIMITED understanding of this is in basic line of yours -- that it's VERY difficult.  Survivor rates are slim, depending.

    I am sorry she had to go in such a manner.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it was in such a high range,you would think they could have given her something to make it clot.Makes one wonder if they did all they could.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know her but from what I have read she sounds like an amazing woman.  I am sorry for the loss of your friend and the loss for J-land.  
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hope she didn't suffer any pain Guido. Doctors are there to help all they can that is why they take up their profession.  I am positive all was done that was possible for her.
    It was her time to go...God bless her.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sympathy to her family and friends.  May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete