Saturday 15 September 2007

Afternoon notes

After a break of a few hours, it's once again pouring with rain. Our young guests have just left for Point (east of here), where they are likely to see, well, just about nada. I cannot even make out the lighthouse, which is only 1 mile from here. Oh, I did get a box of chocolates for my assistance on Thursday night, and mrs B a handsome plant.

Yesterday, the mortgage lender Northern Rock announced it had to borrow money from the Bank of England. Today, its customers queued for hours to withdraw their savings. The explanation for the panic is a lack of confidence. Read more here, also with links about the background to this story.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry your weather is so rotten.  We have had a fairly decent sunshiny day.  We had a bit of showers earlier this morning but nothing since.  I even sat out this afternoon to get a tan.  I like cool sunshiny days.  I'm not a summer sunshine lover.
    Nice to get some chocolates for your nocturnal directions to the local hospital for your visitors.  
    Wish I could have a choice...only if they are dark chocolates mind.  I'm not into milk chocolate.
    Enjoy.  Hope Mrs B liked her flowers.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, unless they are made of sugar...the rain shouldn't bother them.  It rains where they come from, too.  Pass the chocolates......Linda in gloomy, waiting for rain, western Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this on CNN...and I hope everyone got their money...take care...
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's amaziing story about the money. Hope your friends didn't get TOO wet.
    Barb  

    ReplyDelete