Tuesday 25 September 2007

Updates

The whale stuck in Loch Roag is reported to have died, I am just hearing on the Highland News. It was found at Garynahine, 2 miles east of Callanish, at the very end of the loch. Further details here.



The little Chinese girl, nicknamed Pumpkin, who was abandoned at a railway station in Melbourne, Australia, has been reunited with her grandmother, who will take her back to China. The child's father is now the subject of an international arrest warrant; he apparently flew to Los Angeles after leaving his young daughter behind in Australia.

I am very concerned after hearing that a walker failed to return from a walk on Ben Nevis yesterday. The Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team is on the scene to try to locate the man, who failed to return to his accommodation on Monday. As I reported previously, the weather today is very poor. Although it is now starting to clear up here in the islands, the weather in the mountains is bound to be severe.

A BBC report, due to be aired on Radio 4 at 8pm tonight, suggests that serious mis-selling of mortgages in the UK. Borrowers were basically told to lie about their income, in order to get a mortgage that they were actually unable to afford. This is related to the sub-prime crisis in the US, which brought on the run on the Northern Rock bank last week. If mortgages were indeed sold to people whose incomes were too low, then we're sitting on a timebomb here in the UK as well.

6 comments:

  1. I saw the report about the little girl on the news...happy to hear she is back with her grandmother...how sad that report was.  Also, about the whale.  Take care,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that family have been found for Pumkin she looks a sweet little girl. I was upset to hear about the whale i was hoping it had made its way back into deep water.I hope the walker is found safe and well.
    love and hugs
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad about the whale.  It apparently was gravely ill and/or injured.  I hadn't heard about little Pumpkin.  How can a parent just go off and abandon a child?   There seems to be a mortgage crisis here in the US.  People with adjustable interest on their mortgage, are seeing their monthly payments skyrocket and their income hasn't risen to accomodate the increase.  It will be a good thing for those with money.  They'll snap up the foreclosures and no doubt get wealthy off the backs of the people who didn't make wise choices. They have created so many ways for people to buy a house, some good, some not so good. You have to be really careful.    Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw the picture above I thought oh!  Its the whale its got out at last!  Only to be disappointed and upset to hear differently.  How sad.
    I'm happy to hear about the little girl and her grandmother being alive still to look after her.  That's good news at least!
    There are going to be some very worried folks who can't afford their mortgage.  This is so worrying for those caught in this way.  You don't wish it on anybody.


    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor whale. Seeing them stranded around UK's coastal waters is becoming frequent. When I saw that Pumpkin had been rescued i was so pleased. (One of the core characters in Memoirs of a Geisha is also called Pumpkin; have just finished reading it...recommended)
    Am wondering what the latest is on the chap and his plane, lost over the jungle..any news on him Pharm? oxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. I have to say that this news is sad of the whale havind died. I love whales they are one of my favorite animals. I wish that this whale would have survived. I have to say that this saddens me. I want to thank you for sharing the news with us. Its good to hear about Pumpkin that is good news I am glad to know that she was reunited with family. I do hope that they find that man you mentioned in this entry. I hope he's not hurt or anything.

    Thanks again for sharing the news with us. Take care.

    ReplyDelete