Thursday 20 September 2007

Principles

I read on Kellen's journal [Faith in Roman Catholicism] that on October 7th, there will be a Whiteout on journals in J-land whose writers are opposed to abortion. Read the entry for further information.

I have to make the following points very clear.

( 1 ) I relay this information for the benefit of those who are opposed to abortion, i.e. pro-life, and may want to participate in this initiative.

( 2 ) I do NOT agree with the stance taken by those behind Whiteout, and will not participate myself.

( 3 ) My personal stance on abortion is as follows. A pregnant woman should be allowed to have an abortion on medical grounds. It should never be a crude birth control measure. Abortion should be allowed when the life or health of the woman is in serious jeopardy if the pregnancy continues. Abortion should be allowed when the quality of life of the foetus will be non-existent due to malformation or other causes. I am aware that there is a grey area, where 'quality of life' is debatable.

( 4 ) I am acutely aware of the highly charged atmosphere surrounding abortion, and that is for a good reason. The stance outlined in point 3 is MY OPINION and I do not ask anyone to agree or disagree with me. I only ask readers to accept it as such. I have relayed Kellen's post as it is made out of a strongly held, genuine belief, which is something I have great respect for, even if I disagree with it.

6 comments:

  1. I do not think the AOL Journals should be used to for this type of forum, anyway.  We all have our opinions on this issue and I believe this is one issue that should be left at home...not suitable for public discussion.  If someone feels abortion is wrong...than support agencies like Care Net who help pregnant women have their babies and either keep them or place them for adoption. And even more important..PRAY everyday, that babies will not be aborted.  If someone believes abortion is ok...support Planned Parenthood and other groups who help women have their decision to abort come true.   The way I see it is, the reason a lot of women choose abortion is because there is no real support for them anymore.  Back in the 1950's & 1960's they had places where a pg girl could go and have her baby, place it for adoption (or keep the baby) but at least there was a supprt system.  All of those places have closed.  They get pg and they feel desperate.  I don't even like to see the people with pickets around the abortion clinics.  That's not the way to stop this practice.  Linda in Washington

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm naive,but what is a whiteout?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to read what she posted now I know what a whiteout is..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to look into this journal.  I think your stance on abortion is well stated. I am glad to get this information.  Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am deeply grateful for passing the information along, especially because you don't completely agree.  You have a very kind, strong, respectful soul, and I admire that.  

    Many blessings to you,
    Kellen

    P.S. I'll get on that SS number thing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, Guido, most abortions are not done for medical reasons (to safeguard life or health of the mother).  Nor are they done because of potential quality of life for the child.  Those are not the reasons stated by most women who have abortions.  Actual physical life and health of the mother are stated as the reason for VERY few of the cases for abortions.  This just happens to be the facts, Guido.  So as you stated, you don't want abortion to be used as a birth control method, but it often is used as such.  Some women have four or five abortions.  Is this using it for birth control?  Sounds like it to me.  Is she doing it easily?  My guess is not really, it will catch up to her, all this numbing herself against abortions and lying to herself that she can have free sex and take the easy way out.  Just having one abortion after another.  Sooner or later it will catch up to her.  Please read my entry for today (Sunday Oct 7) and you will find out a little more about abortion.

    Krissy :)
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

    ReplyDelete