Friday 14 September 2007

Friday notes

I'm typing this slightly cross-eyed, as I didn't really see my bed until 4 am this morning. One of our guests took ill, and had to be taken to hospital. An ambulance was not required, but I had to guide the car driver (who had come to stay with the other person) through the town. Being continental, they were unfamiliar with right-hand drive cars, driving on the left, roundabouts and the intricacies of Stornoway's roadsystem in general. The hospital is a mile and a half to the north of here, past four roundabouts if you take the shortest route.

The guest is currently in hospital, kept in overnight for observations. You'll understand that I will not go into further details, not on the Water's Edge blog either.

I walked back from the hospital, which takes me half an hour, through totally deserted streets. I encountered two cars and two pedestrians. In the daytime, people and cars fairly throng the streets of this town.

I took the pictures above on the way back, which shows Stornoway on a wet night.

6 comments:

  1. Good thing you thought to bring your camera to keep you company.
    I should say they owe you one helacious fruit basket for your effort....
    ~C~
    P.S. Beautiful photos,beautiful towne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could just hear your footsteps echoing up and along the streets as you wound your way home Guido.  Lovely peaceful, unique, pictures of your normally busy town.
    I hope your guest was soon up and about again, ready to see the sights.

    Get well soon to him/her.

    Well done you for coming to the rescue!

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your nighttime photos! The Lews Castle looks like a fairy tale place to me. Too bad it's not used. I still love it!
    Your town sure is deserted!! Wow! I'm glad you made it home safely. I bet it was a sort of pleasant walk even in the early hour, wasn't it?
    Hope your guest is doing ok now.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, enroute back taking photos makes a mite more sense:)  Things ARE different at night, aren't they?  Of course you shouldn't go into Guests private medical information.  Do hope Guest is doing okay.  Maybe you can take a nap later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious...it's that safe where you live that you can walk around at 3:30 in the morning and not encounter anything....

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Guido...always the helpful one!Cool photos!

    ReplyDelete