Saturday 29 September 2007

Saturday notes

It's a bright and sunny day, with the mercury at 13C / 55F at the moment, which is better than we've seen for some days. As Linda in Washington state correctly observed, we're at the latitude of southern Alaska here, 58N, but our climate is directed by the Gulf Stream, which comes straight from the warm Caribbean.

Regarding my last Call for Support, don't thank me - I asked for J-land to shine, and it did. I noticed 18 comments in June's blog, and I'm sure it won't stop there. Well done all!

The low tides at the moment have their impact - the ferries in these islands are disrupted. Any sailings near low tide time are cancelled or retimed. On a related note, the airfield on the island of Barra, 110 miles south of here, is on the beach. Planes can only land at low tide. Which left a guest on a previous occasion to sigh: "What a place. If the tide is out, the ferries can't sail, and if it's in, the planes can't fly!"

4 comments:

  1. "What a place. If the tide is out, the ferries can't sail, and if it's in, the planes can't fly!"

    Ha!   That just adds to the mystique and uniqueness of the island.  
    And helps to keep the less intrepid 'campers' off the island too I should think...lol!
     
    Yes...we have a bright day here in the Lakes too Guido.  I haven't been out for my daily walk yet but hope that it's warmer than yesterday.  I needed my hat and scarf then.  Moan groan!

    I've been across to our new Jland friend.  I hope we can all help to cheer her up a wee bit.  
    Take care dear chap...
    Have a good weekend.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish it was 55F here. It's been running high 70's low 80's here during the day. Not too hot...but the only hint of Fall is the chill in the night and early morning.
    Have a good day.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your between a rock and a hard place there...LOL. Thanks again for sending so many new friends my way. I will never forget your kindness...June:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well all those restrictions..certainly make life interesting for you island dwellers.  Oh, I'm glad I live an the fringe of a "big city."  Everything I need within about 4 miles from my house. A gas station, restuarant & movie theater about 6 blocks from here.    Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete