Saturday 15 September 2007

Northern Isles ferry

The ferry I pictured in an entry about MV Hrossey breaking down near Shetland is one of two or three plying the route between Aberdeen and Kirkwall (Orkney) and Lerwick (Shetland). The crossing, operated by Northlink Ferries, takes 7 and 14 hours respectively. The vessel carries all sorts of vehicles, including cargo. Dangerous cargo is carried on a dedicated vessel, the MV Clare. I travelled on the passenger vessel 3 years ago when relocating from Orkney to Skye on September 29th. They serve meals, have very comfortable cabins (I shelled out on a cabin all to myself), show movies and much more.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Guido.   I am more clued up about it now.  You splashed out a bit on board didn't you?  Nothing like home comforts.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been on one big ferry. It was a trip from Victoria, BC to Port Angeles, WA. It was amazing how many cars/trucks they hauled across the water.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the ferry from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, BC many times, in all kinds of weather.  That looks like a great ferry ride...if I ever get over there I'll have to check into it.   Linda in Washington state  

    ReplyDelete