Wednesday 26 September 2007

Wednesday notes

Overcast day with some sunshine and a few minor showers. Feeling cold outside, temperatures now only in single figures.

The local council have a 7-tonne headache on their hands, in the shape of a dead whale. The remains of the creature, which died of natural causes, lie on the shores of Ceann Tulabhig, southwest of Callanish. We're having high tides at the moment, so I would think that at high tide tonight, which comes in at 5.5 metres, they might be able to float it off and take it out to sea. Alternatively, it could be loaded on a low-loader and taken to the council dump, which would require a 16 mile journey to Stornoway by road. The third alternative is described in below video.
 


8 comments:

  1. Awww... how sad...

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I know where "raining cats & dogs" originates from, and now I can add "raining blubber" by this not-well-thought-out Lane County fiasco.  I'm sorry people were covered in pieces of whale and cars were damaged but wouldn't it have been best to just let nature have its own?  What usually happens when, eons ago, whales would lose proper sonar readings and beach themselves?  I think natural predators took over, yes?  I heard the announcer say people were appalled by the smell, but it would've been temporary.  Blowing up a whale.  Geez - remember the 17th century whalers and how prized one of these wondrous creatures was?  The whale should've been eaten, helped out to sea where the smaller aqautic life could've partaken too.  Blow it up and bury it - what a sorry sight.  As I watched it explode something sunk inside, something primal.  Thanks for this story Guido, very timely and hopefully not to be repeated.  CATHY
    http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/    

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is so discusting! Who came up with this brilliant idea? <gag>
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading the comments, I couldn't watch the video.  More than enough said.  Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh lol,I hope they do not do that to your whale up there in  the Highlands.
    Love  and hugs
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe they thought of doing that!  They were definitely not 'a full shilling' whoever thought up this terrible way to get rid of this majestic creature.  Towing it out to sea seems a better idea to me.  Msd fools!!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't view the video, but I would think that, having died of natural causes and not, say, poisoning or infestation, that thee best (most natural) burial would be to push it out to sea.  

    ReplyDelete
  8. :-O  omg....ew.

    note to self:  stay far far away from any whale carcass.

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete