Thursday 20 September 2007

Thursday notes

Fairly cloudy this morning, quite breezy although the sun is peeping through the clouds at the moment. Forecast remains autumnal, with temperatures to match: 11C / 52F right now.

I am glad Morrison's supermarkets have disappeared from Stornoway - Somerfields took over a while back. I read that a man of 72 was refused a sale of wine, because he declined to answer the question whether he was over 21. He demanded to see the manager, who backed up his employee upon which our man abandoned his shopping on the conveyor belt and asked for a complaints form.
Morrison's have not relented, saying that under the Talk21 scheme, check-out staff have to confirm customer's over-21 status upon the sale of alcohol. I have to agree though that someone in his 70s is quite obviously over 21.

Two tropical systems to watch at the moment. Hurricane Ivo will be curving towards Baja California in a day or two, but is expected to weaken before making landfall. I could add 'if it makes landfall at all'. A tropical disturbance is over Florida (if you're there, you'll be aware of it) and will move east into the Gulf of Mexico, where it could develop into a tropical depression.

If you're worried about hurricanes, I suggest to put the NHC on your RSS feedreader, which will alert you to their latest bulletins.

5 comments:

  1. That wasn't too bright of the store.After all-the law is there in case someone 'looks' under 21-then they have the 'right' to question them and get further proof.Well talk about being their own worst enemy,LOL.
    Have a good day .Keep Warm.....................

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stupidity!  Well if they get a lot of flack from this ..serves them right!

    IDIOTS!  I would have been incandescent!

    Dry here today Guido, but we're still blanketed with grey rain clouds.. and it's freezing!

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. How silly -- although if I got asked that now I think I'd have to be flattered!!  LOL!
    Linda  (Friday's Child)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen it happen in retail, if given the power to bully the customer, they will.  Probably to get back at the few nasty customers they get.  Just my opinion.  It's overcast here today, hope it clears up.  Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only hope that in a little over 5 years when I'm 71, somebody asks me for my ID.  Although I don't buy booze or cigarettes but I'd love to be carded.  I'd show them my library card....LOL   Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete