Tuesday 18 September 2007

Tuesday evening notes

The rain has been lashing down for the past few hours, also on the poor passengers of the cruiseship Astor. The lights are lit up on board.

I am grateful to those who went to the bother of answering my poll. Being in the UK, I am unable to get AOL Polls to work. They only work if you're in the US. Anyway, I put the question because some people of my acquaintance were left totally unmoved by the sequence I showed in that earlier post. More in the Water's Edge blog.

A very sad counterpoint to the Madeleine McCann saga is the three year old Chinese toddler, Qian Xun Xue, who was abandoned by her father at a railway station in Melbourne, Australia. Meanwhile, over in New Zealand, concerns are growing over the safety of her mother, who has not been seen for a week. There are reports of domestic violence in the family. The father was spotted on CCTV on the Southern Cross railway station in Melbourne, abandoning the little girl. Hours later, he boarded a flight bound for Los Angeles, USA. The mother's car has been found in a carpark at Auckland Airport. Qian Xun, initially named Pumpkin after she was found, is now in the care of foster parents in Australia.

7 comments:

  1. That's just heart breaking....who could abandon a child.... I just can't imagine...

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How utterly horrible for that little girl, and I pray that her mother is alright........  chilling to hear about.

    Wondered if the poll problem was a UK vice US thing.

    Oh, and polls and opinions are one thing.  YOUR viewpoint on your photos and your journal, don't have to match the opinions of your readers:)  I, however, could have spent a lot more time looking at several of those shots.  I'd see one that was great, thinking this is thee best one, then another beautiful / stunning one, worthy of its own post not one of 65.  So perhaps that acquintance prefers, oh, I don't know, the ships, or a city skyline.  Me?  I'm rather wishing I could be right there soaking it in.  Well, perhaps not so literally as it IS raining there a cold rain, eh.  :)

    Eating lunch here and you're in your evening.  Toodles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor little soul ,who would do something like that ?....love Jan xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sort of thing happens all too often, hear about it every week or so here in the US.
    Bless them all.
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  5. sooo sad about this!! Hope the mother is found alive!!!!For lil ones' sake!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humans can be the absolute meanest animals on the planet.  Of course, thank God, there is opposition in all things.  Linda  

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little angel!   How sad that she has been abandoned. At least she hasn't come to any physical harm.   I fear the worst for her mother.
    I remember that ship as it came in to Oban...you put me to rights on its name and that it wasn't a CalMac Ferry.  lol!
    Your welcome..re; the Poll.  I had to look around the page you re-directed me to until I found it though.
    Any views of Scotland hits the right button for me.  Magic!

    We have had wild an wooly weather through the night here in the Lakes.  Continuous rain is visiting us without any let up.  <sigh>

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete