Friday 21 September 2007

POW and MIA recognition day

Sugar advised us that today we remember those who are Prisoners of War or Missing in Action. I think that is very important.

As an ex-military man myself (didn't know that, did you?), I am saddened by the negative press that troops get for doing their job. They are in Iraq and Afghanistan because the politicians that YOU elected sent them there. Even if you didn't vote for George W. Bush or Tony Blair (superseded by Gordon Brown) yourself, they still remain our boys. They're somebody's son, husband, daughter, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, father, mother.. need I go on? The politicians can be voted out. Again, the military goes where they're told to go. Don't blame them because you disagreed with the political decision.

When George W. and Tony decided to invade Iraq in 2003, there was a groundswell of opinion opposed to this move. However, Parliament and Congress ratified the decision, so the troops were sent out. It's now up to each and everyone of us to support those that do their duty. Support their relatives and friends when they're taken prisoner, go missing in action or in the worst instance, lose their life.

Disagree with a political decision? Use the ballot box. Don't blame the soldiers.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you there Guido!  Our soldiers are doing a brilliant job offering their lives up for our country's beliefs.   Whether or not we all agree with the Governments reasons or not. They are doing a difficult job which must demoralise them so much when they read these adverse press reports.  Nobody, most of all me, knows just how stressful it is to be a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan.  I can only imagine it through the worry I felt when my own son was cross trained on to the Tornados from the Victor Tanker planes to take part in the first gulf war.  Was I relieved that was a short war!  We should respect and commend them for 'Being There' and doing the job they were trained to do.  
    I support  all of those son's and daughters of parents who are just like you and me.  Wanting them to come home safely and free from harm.
    God bless them and keep them safe.
    By the way...I had guessed as much a bit back when I was reading up on something you had written.  Something just clicked that you were involved in the forces.  
    Take care..
    Have a nice weekend, Splishing and sploshing under the rain clouds we are both sharing in our various areas at the moment...huh!  Splish..Spash..Splosh!
    Toodle pip!
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Guido....I've posted a tribute myself today.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tribute. TY!
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so totally in agreement with you.  Linda  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Guido, I personally support all of our troops wherever in the world they are serving. It`s through no fault of theirs that they are there and they do a difficult job regardless. I salute them all despite the politicians that I`m happy to say I didn`t elect.

    Love Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i support the troops by GW Bush disgusts me. Thanks for the entry about the MIA and POW's.
    lj

    ReplyDelete