Wednesday 5 March 2008

Afternoon jottings

Weather has turned decidedly nasty, with rain and blustery winds. The only saving grace is the mild temperatures - today's 10C is better than yesterday's 4C.

I am hearing despairingly belligerent talk coming out of South America, where three heads of state are eminently successful in making a mountain out of a molehill. Ecuador has stated it is prepared to go to the ultimate consequence in defending itself against a raid, mounted by Colombian forces on Sunday. This took place a mile within Ecuadoran territory. Not a clever idea. Venezuela, as I reported on Sunday, is ready to defend the "sacred sovereignty" of the homeland - and what the heck have they got to do with anything?

The nomination for the Democratic candidacy for the White House is once again wide open, now that Hillary Clinton has won 3 of yesterday's 4 primaries. Neither stands a realistic chance against Republican McCain, in my opinion. Putting it bluntly, a black man in the White House is still a sore point in the US (I think), and a woman in the White House - I wonder if she has what it takes in the cut-throat business of being a head of state. Not all countries in the world afford the same dignity to a woman that they do to a man. I know that sounds sexist, but I don't think I'm far off the mark.

7 comments:

  1. I could never vote for Hillary because while Bill was in office she was so pro choice.  That issue has been buried this year, nobody is talking about it, let alone Hillary for whom it would be political poison  but people have long memories, and I think that is one thing that will get John McCain elected over her.  He has never been anything but pro life and with his usual fire with his convictions did not mind saying so.  I think he's a bit old, but if Obama does not become the candidate I will vote for McCain  I think that Hillary is short sighted so determined to be this years democratic candidate, refusing to see that the back lash against the liberals and their complete endorsement of pro choice was real. Among other things. I shudder at the thought of the media inundated again with a bunch of pro choice propaganda.  Those insanies would come out from under the rocks. The reckless repopulation is causing global warming!  Gerry  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are pretty much on the mark, Guido.  However, I think Hillary could be tough enough to be president, but I don't think we in the U.S., are ready for a black or woman president.  But, I am concerned that McCain may not be tough enough, but is definitely the best one for the job.  I guess we will see...............
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just observing from Hil's handling of NY politics... she has brass balls.  Big ones.  I don't worry about her...  Obama... I worry about.  He hasn't cut enough teeth.

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're willing to tell things how you see them in regards to US politics.  I'm sad Mike Huckabee is no longer in the race, but McCain will do.  Barak Obama, the junior Senator from Illinois (my home state) has no experience and I fear his calls for change empty.  Hillary Clinton is just obnoxious and ignorant.  

    Can you tell I'm a Republican?

    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care for any of them but I have to say I think Hillary is as tough as any man.  Is the US open to a woman or black man as president...I don't think so when it comes down to the wire and the pep rallies are over.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope the weather changes for the better...doing some catching up here...as I said I would.  The race for the White House is going to be interesting for sure...can't wait to see the final choices.  
    Take care!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'd much rather vote a woman in the WH instead of letting some old Republican who will not change anything for the common folk here.
    lj

    ReplyDelete